The purpose of the guideline is to help healthcare professionals who are not cardiology specialists identify and treat acute myocardial injury and its cardiac complications in adults with known or suspected COVID-19 but without known pre-existing cardiovascular disease.
This guideline is for:
- health and care practitioners
- health and care staff involved in planning and delivering services
The guideline covers care in a hospital setting. The recommendations are specifically for acute myocardial injury associated with COVID-19 and should be used alongside good clinical practice.
The recommendations bring together:
- evidence from published literature on COVID-19 with acute myocardial injury
- existing national and international guidance and policies
- advice from specialists working in the NHS from across the UK. These include people with expertise and experience of treating patients with acute myocardial injury during the current COVID-19 pandemic.